Daked Derb™

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Recipes?

Well everyone, I know I haven't updated this blog in a loooong time, but I've decided to start posting again, if only to share the recipes I come across. By doing so I'm hoping maybe I can keep some people from making the same mistakes in cooking that I've made, as well as successful techniques and recipes that seem worth sharing.

My first recipe is one that I actually just tried this morning, homemade waffles! While I used to be a big fan of the freezer waffles you can buy in the box, I've recently discovered that not only are homemade far superior in quality, but much cheaper also. I'll attempt to outline the basic procedure as best as I can Alton Brown style.

For the dry team, mix together...

4 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 1 cup
4 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 1 cup
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt (kosher)
3 tablespoons sugar

Mix those together in a separate bowl (at first) as the wet team...

3 whole eggs, beaten
2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
16 ounces (2 cups) buttermilk, room temperature

If you don't have buttermilk, regular milk will suffice, just remember to add an acid (1 teaspoon of lemon juice would work) to counter-balance the bases (baking soda/powder).

Add the wet to the dry and stir until a batter just comes together. It is okay if there are still some lumps! Put your mixing device down and let the batter sit for 5 minutes. (IF you haven't already, get that waffle iron preheated.)

Remember to use some cooking spray for you first waffle. My waffle iron is non-stick, so I only needed to use some the first time. The good thing about this recipe is, it makes a pretty good size batch! Take all the leftovers waffles, wrap them up in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer. After that, you can treat them just like freezer waffles, pull one out, put it in the toaster and it comes out nice and crispy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home